Nearly one-in-eight Danes over the age of 18 answered yes, when asked if they suffered from hearing loss. 47.8% of those who said that they have a hearing loss used hearing aids.
A EuroTrak study shows, that 11.9% of the adult Danish population believe that they suffer from hearing loss - in other words, around 530,000 people. Of those, 47.8% use hearing aids. This means that around 275,000 hearing impaired people in Denmark do not use hearing aids.
Even more have hearing loss
“The number of people with a measurable hearing loss is somewhat greater than when people evaluate their hearing loss themselves. If you measure hearing loss instead of asking people if they have experienced hearing loss, the number of adults with hearing loss will typically be around one-in-six or between 15-20%. This is because a hearing loss can be measured before it can really be noticed,” says Secretary General Søren Hougaard, European Hearing Instrument Manufacturers Association (EHIMA).
91% of Danish hearing aid owners have received some kind of third-party reimbursement. In spite of this, 16% of those questioned assumed that there was no third-party who would fully or partially pay for the hearing aids. 48% did not know if there was some kind of third-party reimbursement.
Other interesting EuroTrak 2012 Denmark highlights include:
- 38% had a hearing test in the last 5 years. Only 28% stated that their hearing has never been tested.
- 82% of hearing aid owners use two hearing aids.
- 27% stated that they sometimes or permanently experienced tinnitus.
- 83% of hearing aid owners in work stated that their hearing aids are beneficial in the workplace
- Hearing aids are believed to have a positive impact in the workplace.
- Hearing aid owners have a much lower risk of becoming depressed and a lower risk of forgetfulness compared to impaired non-owners.
- The more the hearing aids are worn per day, the greater the level of satisfaction.
About the survey
The study, which was published in 2013, was carried out by the Swiss analysts Anovum on behalf of EHIMA, The European Hearing Instrument Manufacturers Association. Around 14,000 people were involved in the study in Denmark. They were asked about their hearing and use of hearing aids.
Source: EHIMA, EuroTrak 2013
Please use our articles
You are very welcome to quote or use our articles. The only condition is that you provide a direct link to the specific article you use on the page where you quote us.
Unfortunately you cannot use our pictures, as we do not have the copyright, but only have the right to use them on our website.