Here is some good advice for relatives and colleagues of a hearing-impaired person.
Advice for relatives
- Do not forget that a family member is suffering from hearing loss
- Help the hearing-impaired person
- Do not repeat what has just been said
- Never patronise a hearing-impaired person
- Use humour, it helps
- Help to imcrease the hearing-impaired person's confidence
Advice for colleagues
- Show consideration, but do not overdo it
- Speak up a little, but do not shout
- Keep eye contact
- Do not turn your back on the hearing-impaired person while talking
- Check whether the hearing-impaired person has understood what you have been saying
- Let the hearing-impaired person tell you how to communicate in the best possible way
- Show respect for the hearing-impaired person
- Keep in mind that one of your colleagues is hearing-impaired
Please use our articles
You are very welcome to quote or use our articles. The only condition is that you provide a direct link to the specific article you use on the page where you quote us.
Unfortunately you cannot use our pictures, as we do not have the copyright, but only have the right to use them on our website.