A scientific review of a large number of surveys shows that the use of hearing aids causes significant improvement in the quality of life of hearing impaired people. The results of all studies reviewed are remarkably consistent.
The review is published in the scientific report, "Evaluation of the Social and Economic Costs of Hearing Impairment". The report presents the results of a comprehensive study of almost all scientific research on social and economic impacts of hearing loss in Europe, Australia and the United States.
Key points about the impact of the use of hearing aids on quality of life include:
- Hearing aids improve overall quality of life for most users.
- Hearing aid users enjoy better overall health than non-users.
- Hearing aid users are perceived by their families to have better cognitive functioning than non-users and to be less introverted.
- The most beneficial effects of hearing aids are found in the users' social lives, taking part in group activities, and family relationships.
- Hearing impaired people with hearing aids have greater self-confidence, stronger self-image and better communicative functioning, resulting in overall higher self-esteem, than those without aids.
- Hearing aids help to reduce deterioration in psychological functioning as a result of hearing impairment.
- Hearing aids can reverse social, emotional and communication dysfunctions caused by hearing impairment.
- Hearing aid users are more likely than non-users to engage in activities involving other people.
- Hearing aids improve most aspects of emotional life and hearing aid users have greater warmth and less negativity in personal relationships than non-users.
Source: "Evaluation of the Social and Economic Costs of Hearing Impairment", October 2006, Hear-it AISBL
Please use our articles
You are very welcome to quote or use our articles. The only condition is that you provide a direct link to the specific article you use on the page where you quote us.
Unfortunately you cannot use our pictures, as we do not have the copyright, but only have the right to use them on our website.