One-in-nine Norwegians over the age of 18 answered yes, when asked if they suffer from hearing loss. 42.5% of those who say that they have a hearing loss use hearing aids.
A EuroTrak study shows, that 10.8% of the adult Norwegian population believe, that they suffer from hearing loss ”? in other words, around 450,000 people. Of these, 42.5% use hearing aids. This means that around 260,000 hearing impaired in Norway do not use hearing aids.
Even more have hearing loss
“The number of people with a measurable hearing loss is somewhat higher than when people evaluate their hearing loss themselves. If you measure hearing loss, instead of asking people if they have experienced hearing loss, the number of adults with hearing loss will typically be around one-in-six or between 15-20%. That is because a hearing loss can be measured before it can really be noticed,” says Secretary General Søren Hougaard, European Hearing Instrument Manufacturers Association (EHIMA).
94% of the Norwegian hearing aid owners have received some kind of third party reimbursement. Only 27% of the Norwegians are not aware that they can get public support when they receive hearing aids.
Other interesting EuroTrak 2012 Norway highlights include:
- 78% have had a hearing test in the last 5 years. Only 21% of the population state that their hearing has never been tested.
- 74% of the hearing aid owners use two hearing aids.
- 86% of the hearing aid owners who were in employment state that their hearing aids are useful in the workplace.
- Hearing aids are believed to have a positive impact in the workplace.
- People with hearing aids tend to have a slightly higher personal income than hearing impaired people who do not use hearing aids.
- Hearing aid owners have a much lower risk of becoming depressed and a lower risk of forgetfulness compared to impaired non-owners.
- The more the hearing aids are worn per pay, the higher the level of satisfaction.
About the survey
The study, which was published in 2012, was carried out by the Swiss analysts Anovum on behalf of EHIMA, The European Hearing Instrument Manufacturers Association. Around 14,866 people were involved in the study in Norway. They were asked about their hearing and use of hearing aids.
Source: EHIMA, EuroTrak 2012
Please use our articles
You are very welcome to quote or use our articles. The only condition is that you provide a direct link to the specific article you use on the page where you quote us.
Unfortunately you cannot use our pictures, as we do not have the copyright, but only have the right to use them on our website.