It is important that you help your child maintain his or her hearing aid. Also, try to make your child feel a sense of responsibility for this important device.
There are two reasons, in particular, why it is important to take good care of your child's hearing aid: first, to retain the optimum hearing conditions and, second, to ensure high hygiene standards. Proper daily cleaning and regular service will increase the life of the hearing aid and ensure that it performs satisfactorily.
Below is a list of some of the things you can do:
- Handle your child's hearing aid with care.
- Change the batteries often so that they do not suddenly run out of power.
- Switch off your child's hearing aid when it is not in use. If your child does not use it for a long period of time, you should remove the battery.
- The battery contacts should be cleaned regularly. Use a cotton swab but be careful not to bend the contacts. Dirty battery contacts can cause the hearing aid to not function properly.
- Remove earwax from your child's hearing aid. Earwax can cause temporary malfunction or even a breakdown. The wax can also easily collect dirt.
- Clean your child's hearing aid with the small brush or the soft cloth that came with the hearing aid. Do not insert tools into the sound outlet. This could damage the receiver. If you cannot clean the hearing aid completely, contact your hearing health care professional.
- Change the filters often so that they do not collect wax or dirt.
- Do not let your child wear the hearing aid in the shower, when swimming, or when using a hair dryer, hair spray, or other types of spray.
- Contact your doctor regularly to have your child's ear canals cleaned. Accumulated earwax may prevent sounds from travelling from the hearing aid into the middle ear. Do not try to remove the earwax from the ear yourself as you could possibly damage the ear.
Please use our articles
You are very welcome to quote or use our articles. The only condition is that you provide a direct link to the specific article you use on the page where you quote us.
Unfortunately you cannot use our pictures, as we do not have the copyright, but only have the right to use them on our website.